Thursday, May 05, 2005

Socially Awkward Already?


Yesterday afternoon daddy and I went to the kids play place at Bellevue Center Mall. There were a dozen-or-so kids there playing; a couple were younger than I was, but most were older. Even though I'm only 14-months old, have a healthy body image, and generally get along with people, I really struggled to introduce myself to the other kids so that we could play together. At times I even felt awkward, uncomfortable.

I think the main reason that I have trouble getting to know kids my age is that I don't know what to say to them. Actually, I know what I want to say, I just don't know how to say it. You see, I have a very limited vocabulary ("mama," "dada," "kitty," "hey," "diggle," "no," "dee," and a handful of other words), and of the words I do know, I'm not sure what they all mean. (I get the impression that some of my words are not actually words at all.)

So, I've learned that developing relationships depends largely on communication skills. Now that I can walk and climb and everything, I guess I need to really focus on learning to talk.

—Meyer



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home