Monday, July 03, 2006

Children's Book Authors Underestimate Their Readers' Intelligence


Frankly, authors who write books for my age demographic (one-to-four-year olds) are lazy. They seem to think that, because we are so young, small children won't catch their mistakes or notice when they don't do their research. Children's book writers often make the error of referring to a chicken as a "hen" or a kitty as a "cat."

Personally, I have no idea what a "hen" is, but I know a chicken when I see one. As for "kitty" and "cat," "kitty" is a noun that names a medium-size, four-legged, furry mammal that sleeps twenty hours a day, such as those that live in my house. "Cat" is an adjective describing those things related to a kitty, such as "cat food," "cat hair," and "cat puke."

I've found other glaring errors in my books. One book calls a hamburger a "yo-yo"; another calls a piano an "accordian." Publishers need to get serious if they want people my age to continue reading their books. As my peers and I point out such egregious mistakes to our parents, mom and dad will become more discriminating when picking out the hundreds of titles that fill our shelves.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home